Brain tissue was attacked by Naegleria fowleri, also called “the brain-eating amoeba.” When the amoeba infects the brain or spinal cord, it can cause meningitis. (Photo: George R. Healy, CDC)

LAKE JACKSON, Texas – Environmental officials in Texas have lifted a warning for a final Houston-area community to stop using tap water because it might be tainted with a deadly brain-eating microbe, but with a warning that the water should be boiled before being consumed.

Earlier this month, 6-year-old Josh McIntyre died after contracting the microbe, naegleria fowleri.

The investigation into his death led to the detection of the brain-eating amoeba after heath officials conducted water sample tests, Lake Jackson City Manager Modesto Mundo said in a news release Saturday.

Three of 11 sample tests indicated preliminary positive results for the brain-eating microbe, with one sample coming from a hose