- A 6-year-old boy died in early September from an infection caused by a brain-eating amoeba
- Three of the 11 samples collected confirmed the presence of the naegleria fowleri microbe in Lake Jackson’s water system
- Officials warned residents to not drink tap water directly and boil their water before use
The presence of a brain-eating parasite that led to the death of a 6-year-old boy was found in the water system of a Texas town near Houston. Officials said it will take at least 60 days to completely disinfect the water system.
Health officials started collecting water samples to conduct tests after the death of Josiah McIntyre in Lake Jackson, Texas, in early September. Three of the 11 samples collected tested positive for the naegleria fowleri microbe, Lake Jackson City Manager Modesto Mundo told Associated Press on Monday.
On Sept. 25, the Texas Commission of Environmental Quality (TCEQ) alerted