- Calisthenics are functional bodyweight exercises that require minimal equipment.
- The benefits of calisthenics include better long-term health, improved mobility and ease of movement, reduced injury risk, and more calories burned.
- Some of the best example calisthenics workouts for beginners are push-ups, squats, planks, and jumping exercises.
- This article was medically reviewed by Joey Thurman, CSCS, CPT, FNS, a Chicago-based fitness expert and MYX Fitness coach.
- Visit Insider’s Health Reference library for more advice.
Calisthenics is a great way to reach your fitness goals without needing to go to the gym or invest in much equipment.
“It’s one of the easiest exercises for anyone to do at home without expensive equipment,” says Adam Rivadeneyra, MD, a sports medicine physician with Hoag Orthopedic Institute in Irvine, California. “Most exercises rely on body weight