HEALTH FAIR: The New Orleans chapter of the Democratic Socialists of America will hold a health fair from noon to 4 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 17, at A.L. Davis Park, 2600 LaSalle St., New Orleans. The fair will feature free health screenings, information about Medicaid and Medicare, and information about local health-related resources. In partnership with The Debt Collective, there will also be a medical debt clinic where anyone with medical debt can speak to a debt expert, for free, without an appointment. Participants will be able to learn about their rights as a debtor, to dispute their debts and to connect with other people facing similar situations.
NAMI NEW ORLEANS: Virtual support groups sponsored by the New Orleans affiliate of the National Alliance on Mental Illness include:
- NAMI Family Support Group: A Zoom gathering for adult loved ones of people living with mental illness is from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. on the first Wednesday of the month; from 10:30 a.m. to noon on the third Saturday of the month; and from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. on the fourth Thursday of the month. To register, visit namineworleans.org/calendar.
- NAMI Connection recovery support group: A Zoom group for adults living with mental health conditions meets Wednesdays from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. To register, visit namineworleans.org/calendar.
- Survivors of Suicide Loss support group: A peer-led Zoom support group for adults dealing with the loss of a loved one to suicide meets from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. on the second and fourth Wednesdays of the month. To register, email the volunteer facilitators at [email protected] For information, visit nolasurvivors.com.
- Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance: This Zoom group for people living with these disorders and their loved ones meets from 7:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. on the first and third Wednesdays of the month. To register for the group, which is not part of NAMI New Orleans, visit dbsaneworleans.org.
- Mental Health Care Navigation Team: Individuals and families can get help finding the resources they need by contacting the NAMI New Orleans Mental Healthcare Navigation Team at [email protected], (504) 896-2345 or (504) 228-2246. The team’s hours of operations are from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday.
GRIEF SUPPORT: Author Julie Yarbrough will chronicle her experience, combined with a deep love of scripture, in a small group study, “The Broken Heart: A Journey Through Grief,” from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Oct. 10 through Dec. 12 on Zoom. The cost is $25 for the book and a daily devotions book. For information, email Janet Davis at [email protected]
COMPASSIONATE FRIENDS: The Compassionate Friends, which supports bereaved parents, grandparents and siblings, will meet at 6 p.m. Oct. 12 at the Children’s Memorial Garden located behind the Foundation Center in Lafreniere Park, 3000 Downs Blvd., Metairie. This is an outside meeting; bring a chair. For information about the support group, contact William or Millie Hunton at (504) 265-0581 or [email protected]
FREE TELECOUNSELING: The University of Holy Cross is offering free telecounseling. The free counseling takes place via HIPAA-complaint software on their individual laptops and is available Monday-Thursday from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Call (504) 398-2168 to schedule a free session.