Table of Contents
Here are the live updates for Thursday, Oct. 8
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — Here is the latest information on the coronavirus in Michigan, including the number of cases state offices report and other updates affecting West Michigan.
In-person instruction for Ottawa Area Center suspended due to COVID-19
In-person instruction for all students has been suspended at the Ottawa Area Center, located at 10160 96th Ave. in Allendale, due to a positive COVID-19 case.
Classes will be suspended through Oct. 16.
Due to the potential exposure of this one case, approximately 50 staff and students have been quarantined per OCDPH order. Per OCDPH, there is no evidence to support that the virus was contracted on the school property.
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services reported 1,016 daily cases of COVID-19 Wednesday, making the total 130,842.
There were 9 deaths recorded; the death toll is now 6,847.
►Read more from Wednesday’s update here.
State recommendations for COVID-19
People with COVID-19 have reported a wide range of symptoms, ranging from mild to severe illnesses. Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus, according to the CDC. The symptoms include:
- Shortness of breath
- Repeated shaking with chills
- Muscle pain
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell
- Nausea or vomiting
*Note: This list does not include all possible symptoms. It will be updated as the CDC and health officials learn more about the virus.
The best prevention for viruses, such as influenza, the common cold or COVID-19 is to:
- If you think you have been exposed to COVID-19, call your health care provider. If you do not have a health care provider, call the nearest hospital.
- Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for 20 seconds. If not available, use hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or upper sleeve when coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid contact with people who are sick.
- If you are sick, stay home, and avoid contact with others.
- Stay at least 6 feet away from others when in a public setting.
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.
Have a news tip? Email [email protected], visit our Facebook page or Twitter. Subscribe to our YouTube channel.